St Alkmund's Blyborough was restored in 1877-78 by the ubiquitous James Fowler of Louth. Although Fowler is not generally known for being a conservative restorer, his work at Blyborough was relatively sensitive. In his rebuilding of the west end of the nave he retained the curious slender Georgian west tower, with its reused medieval gargoyles.
Inside Fowler also retained much of the medieval fabric, including the Early English north arcade with stiff-leaf capitals, the chancel arched with keeled responds and the arch to the north chapel. In the chancel he retained an ogee headed niche in the north wall. The triplet of lancets in the east wall of the chancel is characteristically Fowler, the mouldings rather too elaborate for Lincolnshire rural Early English. The muscular Butterfieldian pulpit is also fairly representative of Fowler's work.
The north chapel has many features of interest. Both north and south walls have ogee-headed burial niches of the fourteenth century. Among the architectural fragments is a late 10th or early 11th century grave cover with elaborate interlace decoration and the remains of a number of later medieval cross slabs.
The chapel is dominated by monument of a former rector Robert Conyng, who died in 1434. His effigy, in full mass vestments is on top of a tomb chest decorated with shields of arms. One of the shields is decorated with waterbougets and this charge also appears on the orphrey of his chasuble. His head is supported on a cushion held by angels and there is a dog at his feet. Lord Monson, writing in 1828 noticed the monument in its current position and suggested that it was formerly placed under the between chapel and chancel.
On the wall of the chapel are a number of later monuments, a fine tablet of 1794 to John and Elizabeth Broadley and a number commemorating the Luard family of Blyborough Hall. There is also a hatchment commemorating Peter Luard, who died in 1830.
Access: The church is kept locked, but there are contact numbers on the noticeboard. There is ample parking around the church.
If you want to see some more photos of Blyborough have a look at my Flickr set.